Lesson 15
The Book of II Chronicles

A. The Book of II Chronicles is a continuation of I Chronicles. It Begins with Solomon's glorious Temple
and concludes with Cyrus' decree to rebuild the Temple more than four hundred years later.

B. Chronicles focuses on those kings who patterned their lives and reigns after the life and reign of King David. It gives extended treatment to such zealous reformers as Asa, Jehoshaphat, Joash, Hezekiah and Josiah.

C. The Key Words: Priestly view of Judah. II Chronicles focuses on the Southern rather than the Northern Kingdom. Most of the Kings fail to realize that apart from he true mission as a covenant nation called to bring others to God, Judah has no calling, no destiny, and no hope of becoming great on her own. Only what is done in accordance with God's will has any lasting value.

D. The Temple in Jerusalem is the major theme of I & II
Chronicles. In I Chronicles 11-29 the central message is David's preparation for the construction and service of the Temple. Most of II Chronicles 1-9 is devoted to the building and consecration of the Temple. Chapters 10-36 omit the Kings of Israel in the North because they have no ties with the Temple, but rather emphasis is given to the reigns of Judah's Temple restorers.

E. The Temple symbolizes God's presence among his people and reminds them of their high calling. It provides the spiritual link between their past and future. Thus Ezra wrote this book to encourage the people to accept the new Temple, raised on the site of the old and to remind them of their true calling and God's faithfulness despite their low circumstances.

F. The Temple also typifies Christ.

John 2:19________________________________________________
Rev. 21:22_______________________________________________

Survey of II Chronicles

Solomon's Reign 1-9
The Reign of Judah's Kings 10-36

Solomon's Reign 1-9

The reign of Solomon brings in Israel's golden age of peace, prosperity, and temple worship. The Kingdom is united and its boundaries extend to their greatest point. Solomon's wealth, wisdom, palace, and Temple become legendary.

I. Chapter 1

The inauguration of Solomon as King (1:1-7).

His worship, petition for wisdom, being provided with wisdom and wealth is covered briefly in this first chapter.

II. Chapters 2-7

Immediately following Solomon's position as Kings is established, the writer launches into the construction and dedication of the Temple. Note 7:14__________________ _________________________________________________________

III. Chapters 8-9

The Glory of the Reign of Solomon

Note in Chapter 8 the enlargement of Solomon's territory, his enemies brought under subjection, and his religious practices. 8:16________________________________

In Chapter 9 we read in detail of his fame and wealth. This chapter ends with his death.

Part 2
The Reign of the Kings of Judah 10-36

In the preceding chapters, there has risen up a throne founded in a Divine Covenant, and a temple founded by Divine Guidance. The throne and the temple were to uphold and glorify each other. However, a condition of great apostasy develops in which the throne becomes the worst enemy of the temple. One must go, and it had to be the throne. There were twenty kings over Judah from Rehoboam to Zedekiah. The temple is then allowed to be burned. 36:19_______________________________________________

Read the prophecy of Jeremiah concerning this.
Jeremiah 25:9-12

When a king and a people honored God, there was peace and prosperity. When they were unfaithful to God, there was adversity.

About 70% of Chapters 10-36 deals with the eight good kings, leaving only 30% to cover the twelve evil rulers. Each king is seen with respect to his relationship to the Temple as the center of worship and spiritual strength.

II Chronicles ends on the very uplifting decree of the restoration of Judah. 36:23_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


1. What are the two parts of II Chronicles?

2. What is II Chronicles centered around?


3. Can you name 5 of the 8 good kings?


4. How would you have responded to I & II Chronicles if you were a Jew returning from captivity?